Sunday 7 February 2010

Phase 2 of the campaign and how YOU CAN HELP




This is Precious Mhango and her mum Florence. Yesterday I joined loads of Cranhill supporters in the City Centre of Glasgow as we gave out Valentine's Cards asking shoppers to think about the strongest love of all - that between a parent and child - and to do something to preserve the love between Florence and her little girl.

It would have been far too stressful for them to be there themselves given that their appeal hearing is this Wednesday in the high court so it was better that they just carry on as normal.

But I went round to visit and to accompany a photographer from the Scotland on Sunday. Obviously I asked their permission and I make it easy for them to say no, which they have done. But I know and they know that getting coverage in newspapers can only help so they agreed to do it. It didn't stop me feeling uncomfortable about the whole thing and I cannot wait for the day when they never need to do anything like that again.

They wanted to thank everyone for helping so far and so I took a few photos myself. As you can see, Florence is doing her best to smile but Precious has gone back to how she looked when I visited her in Dungavel last November - she's just completely bewildered and terrified by it all. I can't even imagine what it's like to be that little girl right now.

Please keep helping. Last week we launched phase 2 of the letter writing campaign. If you wrote to the Home Office asking for their release, thank you - it worked! They need you to write again, this time simply asking for the Home Secretary to use his discretion and grant them indefinite leave to remain. He can call off the Home Office lawyers before the appeal on Wednesday or after it regardless of the outcome. He can do that and you only have to do a quick search of "Precious" on my blog to find reasons why he should.

Please write URGENTLY to:

Rt Hon Alan Johnson MP
Home Secretary
Home Office
Direct Communications Unit
2 Marsham Street
London
SW1P 4DF

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment