Tuesday 16 March 2010

We don't know we're born


I think like most people I know how fortunate I am that I don't live in a war torn country or one where I am discriminated against too much. But every so often it's good to be reminded and last week I went along to listen to this guy, Justice Albie Sachs. Albie was a member of the ANC fighting against apartheid in South Africa. He was eventually appointed by President Nelson Mandela to the Constitutional Court but not before he'd suffered greatly and in a way that most of us never will. He talked about the time he'd been incarcerated in solitary confinement purely for his work defending people charged under SA's racist and repressive laws. And he of course lost an arm and the sight of one eye when SA security agents bombed his car. He later met his bomber and his account of that had us all spellbound. It was a real thrill to meet someone who puts my worries about the pressures of politics into perspective and now all I have to do is find the time to read his book!

No comments:

Post a Comment