Saturday 6 November 2010

Check the small print

I met a friend for a drink on Friday night on our way to see the fireworks at Glasgow Green. I suggested we meet at "the pub at Glasgow Cross but I can't remember what it's called". He said no problem and he'd text me when he got there (he knew I wouldn't be first!) to give me the name of it.

Now bear in mind he is originally from The Sudan and although he's made up for lost time in the last couple of years, he wasn't in the habit of going to pubs out there. Anyway the text duly came through and this is what it said:

"The pub is called Est 1906."

I can't remember the last time I laughed so much. And he will NEVER be allowed to forget it! Oh, and it was the Tolbooth incidentally. I have no idea how he missed the giant lettering and only spotted the "established since" plaque.

No comments:

Post a Comment