Thursday 11 November 2010

Sad day for Scottish health

I spoke in the Alcohol Debate on Wednesday. In fact, for the first time I was allowed to lead for the SNP backbenchers. I think the Chief Whip knew how important this debate was to me so I was chuffed to be able to do it. I think I'm also the first MSP to be brandishing a cider bottle in the chamber now!

Anyway I will blog about this later but I didn't want the parliamentary week to end without me saying how sickened and disgusted I am that the Labour Party, the Tories and the Lib Dems voted down the amendment on minimum unit pricing which would have had a significant impact on our drinking culture.

We had a chance to really do something about the almost out of control problem this country has with alcohol but they stopped us. They didn't stop us because of a passionate belief, they stopped us because we are the SNP. It's pathetic and I lost a lot of respect for a lot of people who I disagreed with politically but who I honestly believed had some integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment