Thursday 6 May 2010

It's all over bar the shouting

I spent the day in Glasgow East supporting John Mason. I wasn't in one of the more pro SNP areas so not feeling as on top of the world as I was this morning but when you're this tired you often can't see the wood for the trees. And I have a long memory. Once of my worst memories was Jim Sillars losing Govan in 1992 at a time when the general consensus was that he was the best thing that had happened to Govan in a long time. Fear of a Tory victory was the reason for the defeat brought about by a last minute night before election phone round from Labour activists telling voters that the Tories were going to get in by one seat and they needed Govan.

So, don't listen to me, I'm rubbish at predictions and I rarely get a strong gut feeling about these things. The only time I have was the night before we won John's seat 2 years ago. And for the last few weeks I've had it about Malcolm Fleming in Glasgow South but that was coloured by meeting Tom Harris and sensing his distinct lack of enthusiasm for the job. It wasn't coloured at all by the incredible amount of hard work Malcolm and his team have put into the job - I've been around long enough to know that hard work is not enough.

I'm also down about the prospect of living under a Tory government AGAIN. In fact I'm filled with dread. Becoming an MSP hasn't made me immune to the depression that can bring on. As I've said before, there may be little difference between Tory and Labour policies now but the Labour Party, in moving so far to the right, has given the green light to the Tories to go even further once in power. If we think the Labour Party are far removed from the people of Scotland (and they are) we ain't seen nothing yet. It's going to be horrendous.

All we can hope for now is that it IS a hung parliament and we have enough SNP MPs to be able to fight Scotland's corner. And we also have the option of Independence. Obviously I'll take that option every time but I feel for the people who don't have that option and have to live with the Tories' unpalatable policies.

Having said all that I don't know anything yet, nobody does. Last night I was more excited than I used to be on Christmas Eve. Tonight, I'm just scared!

No comments:

Post a Comment