Tuesday 7 July 2009

James Dornan MP - sounds good, looks good, it WILL be good


Tonight I went along to vote in the selection meeting for the candidate for the by election in Glasgow North East - my constituency. I am delighted to say that James Dornan was selected. James is Leader of the SNP council group in Glasgow. He's also a very good friend of mine and has been since he was my campaign manager in Rutherglen in 2000! He's aged dramatically since then but I don't think I have :-) (Just kidding James.)

I will have much more to say on the matter in the coming weeks and months but tonight I am simply happy that he won. He was up against stiff competition in the form of TV journalist David Kerr.

I seem to be saying this a lot these days but I was very proud to be a member of the SNP tonight when I listened to both candidates. David was our by election candidate in Falkirk, some years back but either I wasn't listening properly or he's been practising because although he was undoubtedly good then, tonight he gave a fantastic speech. He is a natural public speaker and he spoke with passion about what Labour has done to Scotland and how the SNP is putting it right. I'd keep an eye out for him if I were you because he was extremely good and now that he's not restricted by his job, I hope he does return to politics.

And I think I can safely say without fear or favour that if David was that good and James beat him, we have ourselves a fantastic candidate. More on this later, it's been a long day and a good one and I really must write my teetotal update before retiring to Bedfordshire!

The photo shows James and myself with Nicola Sturgeon. It was taken during the Glasgow East by-election this time last year!

No comments:

Post a Comment