Thursday 17 June 2010

Nicola Sturgeon supporting the Mhangos

Nicola Sturgeon, Deputy First Minister, is backing Precious Mhango and her mum and calling for them to be allowed to stay in Scotland. Nicola texted me in November after reading my piece about visiting Precious in Dungavel. She said it made her cry. I probably shouldn't tell you that because politicians are not supposed to do that. However, I think it's GOOD to know that our government is made up of REAL people with real emotions and the capacity to be compassionate. If Nicola was not in politics, she would be a human rights lawyer right now and I don't think I want to hide the fact that she cares deeply about other people - just to maintain a "professional image". So there you go, I'm outing our Deputy First Minister as someone who really cares about people. Given that she's also Cabinet Secretary for Health, I imagine you'll be very pleased to hear that!

No comments:

Post a Comment