Sunday 6 September 2009

Freedom of Speech in Sri Lanka

I really do want to do more than just speak out about what's happening in Sri Lanka. I am fortunate in that I have some good contacts over there who can at least have me speak to the right people. How much good it will do I don't know. However I do know I need to tread carefully. Speaking out is not tolerated well as this article testifies.

When I was in Sri Lanka in August I was told there was a radio advert running that went something like this: "If you hear any foreigner speaking badly of our President, call the hotline on 0800 something or other and we will deport them immediately"! I asked several "foreigners" if they took it seriously and they did. People who've been living and working there for years, often voluntarily, know that if they're not careful, simply speaking out will be enough for them to be thrown out never to return. Therefore I'm restricting what I'm saying for the moment. I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water.

No comments:

Post a Comment