Saturday 21 November 2009

Human beings and our ability to tear each other apart

When you feel like you're wading through treacle and at the same time trying to keep a level head, it's harsh to get emails from people attacking you for caring too much. I've had 2 emails from people really angry that I'm trying to help Florence and little Precious. Maybe I should be saying I've "only" had 2. Maybe I should be grateful that it's only 2 and to be honest I don't feel angry at the senders, just incredibly sad. The latest anonymous one received 5 minutes ago said he was "appalled" that I wanted to save them.

If you're reading this all I would say is that I am sorry you have lost your job and I realise how tough that is for you. I do. I was unemployed for 2 years and it's horrible, it's so much more than just the money, I know that. I also know you didn't mean what you said in your email to me and it's the stress of your personal situation that's caused you to say it. But it's not their fault. It's easy to say what you said because Florence and Precious are anonymous to you but I do not believe for a second if you were to meet them, you could look them in the eye and tell them you were sending them back to Malawi.

I have an uncle who might say the same as you but in reality if he were to meet Precious, he'd want to be her Granda'. She's a living breathing, beautiful, kind, gentle little human being and she deserves an education, she deserves a childhood but most of all she deserves to be with her mum. I don't know what else to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment